ummmmm no? surely watching stuff fall and inducing that shit falls doesn’t come from language???? knowing that the sun rises and falls doesn’t come from language???? knowing that these plants taste good and these berries kill you doesn’t come from language????
who the fuck are these people
Funny how people criticizing this seem to be kids with a large discrepancy in literacy. Considering that binary is language and a universal one at that.
Nah, let’s just attack linguistics as “philosophy” (which it’s not) and show to the world how lacking our education is.
Ah, willful ignorance. The American standard.
1) wtf is “large discrepancy in literacy” supposed to mean. discrepancy between what two things?? discrepancy implies some sort of difference or assymetry between two things: what are those two things.
2) my url is not “binary”. it is (a portion of) the thue-morse sequence. the thue-morse sequence is not a language by any stretch of the imagination. it is a sequence of numbers (or rather a sequence of any two distinct *things*)
3) i fully well comprehend that linguistics is not philosophy. i fucking study linguistics for godsakes. this image has nothing to do with linguistics. this image has to do with philosophy and epistemology, not linguistics. linguistics doesn’t care about how people learn and process knowledge; linguistics studies how languge works on a formal, scientific level.
4) willful ignorance??? i saw this image, thought about it critically, and presented an argument against it. how the fuck is that willful ignorance.
Ummmm, how do you even understand any of that without a system of signs and signifiers to comprehend? God, some people are so pedantic and thick.
1) you gotta get some critical reading skills. i never said you can’t gain knowledge or learn through the medium of language. i was arguing against the scope of “everything”, because it’s blatantly obvious that there are shitton of things you can learn about the universe without having any language. animals can learn things without language. cows know when to sleep, what sort of grass to eat, how to mate. they learn how to walk, how to vocalize (animal communication, though comprised of signs, is not language. i note that you immediately jumped to equating language with signs: this is a false connection. while language is comprised of signs, not all signs are language.), etc. are you legitimately arguing that every animal that doesn’t have language (aka every animal except for humans) cannot learn??? how the fuck do they survive in the wild then.
2) you never refuted my points, and even blatantly misunderstood them. who’s the “pedantic and thick” one here?